Wednesday, April 12, 2006

What is a girl to do?


This is a little different from my regular posts but I think ultimately fits in with my basic beliefs about the world. I am, as you have probably guessed at this point, a woman of strong appetites. Generally in this setting I am talking about my sexual appetites but good food and drink fit in as well. I have a belief that a woman who is picky about what she eats... is going to be squeamish about anything else that she might be asked to put in her mouth.

I just finished reading an article in the Chicago Tribune about a major sushi fish provider that is (~ gasp ~) run by a guy with close ties to the Unification Church. Ach! What I am supposed to do now? Boycott sushi? And for what reason? Because it is helping to support "his controversial church".... Ok, I guess we should stop purchasing products from controversial churches... UM, which Church doesn't have it's controversies?

  • Catholics? Child molesting priests and belief in a subservient role for women (oh, excuse me... that is a belief in women's natural roles... what ever those are)
  • Baptists? They want to stop people from going to Disney Land because gay people go there and some of them think dancing is sinful
  • Jews? They own Hollywood and the rest of the media (allegedly and as if I care)
  • Mormons? Spent alot of time blowing stuff up around SLC for years... and then there are those polygamists
  • Muslims? Some are anti-Israel and terrorists
  • Hindus? Too many gods and new agey belief in reincarnation
  • Buddhists? Too accepting of fate (Which is down right un-American)
Soooo let's see... No sushi, tabbouleh, tikka, pad siew, matzo ball soup, spaghetti, pralines and whatever mormons make and eat... I really don't know. The whole thing is pretty silly. The fact of the matter is that we have all depended on people of different faiths for food and other products. Did Europe only trade with Christians on the Silk Road? No! And their culture was richer for the spices and goods that were brought back. And maybe that will happen with the Moonies too (or whatever they prefer to call themselves).

On the plus side of the article, the quoted the owner of my favorite sushi restaurant and fishmonger...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

At the end of the day, I've come to think that all of us normal ordinary people (regardless of religion) are all worried, confused, trying to just get along with life and don't really dislike anyone else as long as they're nice ;-)

So, eat what you want, and put whatever you like in your mouth - with gusto ;-)

Anonymous said...

Totally agree about the picky eater comment...

my wife is a picky eater and she hates fellatio with an intensity and only does it for me once every two or three years.. and of course she won't finish that way but only with a hand

So that's a survey of one on the picky eaters :)