Monday, April 10, 2006

Vacation Reading List...

For once.. La Famille du Lush will be going on a gen-u-ine vacation. Within 3 days I will be lying on a beach in Hawaii soaking up rays and mai tais...

Naturally, I will be trying to trying to tan sans lines but I am not going able to guarantee this outcome... I can guarantee I will have a fine selection of reading materials available to me:

Truth and Beauty, by Ann Patchett

Spice: The Hisory of a Temptation, by Jack Turner


The Canterbury Tales, by Geoffrey Chaucer (AND NO for you that know me... not in the original middle english... though I can recite the prologue if you wish....) (oh and not just the clean parts that they let us read in highschool)


Robbing the Bees by Holley Bishop (I am trying to gather information about apiaries... as a potential hobby or for profit... time will tell)

The Geographer's Library by Jon Fasman (actual unimportant fiction.... but it includes the word geographer... of which I am one by training, if you can believe it)


The Arabian Nights: Tales from a Thousand and One Nights with an Introduction by Sir Richard F. Burton.... (NO, not that Richard Burton... the one played by Patrick Bergin in Mountains of the Moon.. YES, I am that much of a geek)

Food in History by Reay Tannahill (Part of an on-going exploration... I have read books about Salt, Cod and Vanilla... now spices and generally food... yes, an on-going explanation as to why I am as big as a cow... )

Misquoting Jesus by Bart D. Ehrman... (yes, I like the hidden parts of christianity... I need explanations for my doubts and am looking everywhere)

Brokeback Mountain by Annie Proulx (yes, as a friend has pointed out this is available in an old copy of The New Yorker... (but I am an Philistine and don't get the New Yorker... so THERE! I have to buy my own copy.)

And finally, The Jesus Papers by Michale Balient.. Oh, bite me! I liked the daVinci Code too.. I love a good conspiracy theory.. and what could be bigger.. other than evolution/creationism.. and PLEASE! even the Pope says evolution happened...

How many will I finish? How many will I get bitched out for (my very Republican dad will be with me) No one knows! I will try to post my HNT Tomorrow (an old nipple shot, no doubt) until then I will bid you Aloha!