Sunday, December 31, 2006

sex and the preteen daughter

I know I have posted under this title before but this time te subject is slightly different. As I have mentioned before I have two daughters, Asha and Thara. Both are good girls who are growing up fast. Asha faster than I would hope.

She is not quite 12 but already attracts the attention of grown men and teenage boys when she walks down the street. She has been uncomfortable about these changes as you would expect, but completely aware of how hot she is.

Unfortunately, she assumes that everyone sees her for what she is... an 11 year old girl who is too physically mature for her own good and safety. See, like all kids her age she craves freedom. The kind of freedom that I had when I was her age. And I wish I could give it to her. I wish I could send her off on the bus and let her explore Chicago to her hearts content. But we know more about the world these days. (I refuse to say that it is a different world, I think that these things always exsisted we just covered them up)

I have on occasion allowed her to go with friends to the park. The last time, she decided to wander around the neighborhood with her friends.. I think they covered 5 miles of territory. The worst part is that she ended up at the home of a classmate. A boy. Now, don't get me wrong, Quito is a nice boy. His parents seem to be raising him well.. but he is a boy. And like Asha, is a bit too mature for his age.

You know what that sounds like to me?

TROUBLE.

When I picked Asha up I discovered that the Quito's parents were not at home.

Now, I am sure that this was a completely innocent outing. And nothing happened.

But, she cannot be allowed to go to hang out with boys at their homes without their parents home to supervise.

When I pointed this out to Asha she got very upset. "What did I think was going to happen? That she and Quito were going to have sex??"

She was even more angry when I pointed out that she wouldn't be the only pregnant 11 year old in Chicago.

There has to be some way to explain this to her without potentially calling her a slut (which I didn't)... But how?

No comments: